Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Lesson Well Learned



By Jerson Ravelo

I'll start off by letting you all know that I had not been training for this fight. In fact I hadn't trained in months. The reason for not training was simply because my last fight before this one was on August 11th of 2009, also a last minute fight which like this one, I took because I just can't get any fights.

I have also been working. I have to pay my bills and boxing hasn't been doing it for the last several years. I have reached out to every promoter possible. No one wants to put fighters who are not signed by them on their shows, even if a fighters sell plenty of tickets. Of course if some promoter does put you on, then there are those people who go and question some promoters as to why they are putting certain fighters on their shows, and not their fighters, something I have had to deal with time after time when fighting in Jersey.

Well back to the fight last Friday night, it was a fight that I took last minute, I received a call offering me the fight, I didn't question it for one minute, first because I hadn't fought in about a year, I couldn't get a fight to save my life. I saw a video of the guy and quite frankly the guy did not impress me.

as the First round started and knowing that I had no training for this fight, I planned to fight a defensive fight, which I did, landed my shots and made him miss many of his. The second round was about the same, He threw a lot of punches and misfired with most of them.

I'm not sure if I was frustrating the guy, but it sure did seemed like it. He then basically intentionally headbutted me, everyone can see it was intentional. The slow motion replay showed it even better. I tried to get the referee to notice the huge gash under my eye, he ignored it and basically just said keep fighting. At the end of the round he called it an unintentional headbutt, did not get the doctor to see the eye.

I was dazed going to the corner, and dazed coming out for the next round. I then got caught by a right hand, being already dazed didn't help any, as I went down, I waited till the referee reached the count of 8 by the time I got up he had reached 9 and waved the fight off.

I will make sure I get back in the gym and stay in the gym and not take anymore last minute fights, fighting undefeated guys, champion or whoever they put in front of me makes no difference, I was never babied coming up, and I damn well ain't gonna get babied now, I'm a fighter and fighting is what I do, but I must be in fighting shape from now on. When this cut heals I'm right back at it.

Web Site Hit Counters

1 comment:

  1. So many excuses!! Why do you put all the bullshit on facebook then Jerson. " I ran 5 miles" "Im gonna prove the world that i am champion" Everyday you have bullshit motivational speeches about how you are over looked and how you train hard and how Roy Jones has nothing on you! Teddy Atlas said he was shocked that you were on an Olympic Team. Jerson-QUIT BULLSHITTING!!! DONT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!! QUIT BOXING!! You aint the same fighter you were! STOP LYING TO YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete