Sunday, August 8, 2010

Michael Grant and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad Speak on Adamek Fight!



By John Wall

On August 21, Newark's Prudential Center hosts “The Big Challenge“. The Main event features adopted son of Jersey City Tomasz Adamek, 41-1 (27 KO's), versus former title contender "Big" Michael Grant. Grant, 46-3 (34 KO's), is trained by legendary Eddie Mustafa Muhammad; the same trainer who guided Chad Dawson to victory over Tomasz Adamek, dealing Adamek the only loss on his pro record.

Michael and Eddie took time out from training camp in Las Vegas to speak to Garden State Fight Scene about the fight.

John Wall: This is the biggest fight of your career since your loss to Lennox Lewis what are your thoughts?

Michael Grant: A loss can be a chance to gain experience. I was young I had talent and was put on a pedestal but I was not ready.

JW: It's been a long time since you have been in the ring with a contender.

MG: I have been working hard. I feel fresh, experience is everything my three losses were a learning experience. This is a great opportunity. I have a hell of a trainer, and great camp. This is very important to me and my family and I’ve done my hardest training since the Lennox Lewis fight.

JW:How has Eddie Mustafa Muhammad changed your style?

MG: No changes, he as added to my own style . Nice guy an old school trainer

JW: Why the long layoff between fights?

MG: A lot of changes . I changed promoters, managers, and I moved.I used to be to concerned about the politics of boxing. No more.

JW:Eddie, were would you rank Michael among heavyweight contenders?

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad: I would put Michael among the top 5 contenders. I don’t see Michael as an underdog and I think Main Events committed a grave error. They wanted somebody easy, a guy who will not pose any threat to their fighter. Michael is not one of those guys.

JW:How have you trained differently for this fight?

MG: The biggest difference is my conditioning. We added high altitude training. every morning I run 5 mile up Mt Charleston here in Nevada, 8740 feet in altitude.

Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment