Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Boxing World Speaks on Adamek-Grant!



This Saturday night at Newark's Prudential Center, former light heavy and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek of Secaucus will meet once promising heavyweight Michael Grant over twelve rounds with the winner likely receiving a title shot.

Dubbed as “The Big Challenge”, the 6’7 Grant, who was projected to be a world champion a number of years ago, will be Adamek’s tallest opponent to date. I had the opportunity to ask various members of the boxing world ranging from journalists, fighters and trainers for their thoughts on the bout. Here’s what they had to say.

Paul Marinaccio (Retired heavyweight who fought Grant/current boxing and MMA promoter)

“Grant only threw 5 to 8 jabs a round which gave me some opportunities during (our) fight. Adamek will need to work his way in and to keep stepping to the side. Grant hurt me three times with punches to back of the head then (landed) clean shots (but) couldn’t finish me. (He was) very tentative the whole fight. I’m the only guy to go 12 rounds with Grant and I had torn ligaments in my ankle. Adamek wins but (he can’t run).”

Chris Robinson (Journalist from Examiner.com)

“I remember running into Grant earlier this year at the IMMA gym in Las Vegas. One thing I can say is that he hasn't let himself slip and that he is still in excellent shape. Still, I really have no idea what he would have left at this point in his career. Things just never seemed the same for him after his crushing loss to Lennox Lewis

Adamek's rise to both the cruiserweight and heavyweight ranks has been impressive. After his loss to Chad Dawson years ago I really didn't know what he would come up with but he has shown a lot of perseverance in continuing to succeed against bigger man. I think he will find a way to defeat Grant and it will be interesting to see where he goes after that.”

Sean Sullivan (Editor-in-Chief Boxing Digest)

“Adamek should win with a mid-rounds stoppage. After a few rounds, he'll have figured out how to deal with Grant's size and reach advantages then will break him down physically. Grant will wilt from Adamek's pressure and his own inactivity.”

Gary Williams (Journalist from Fight News/Boxing Along The Beltway)

“I like Adamek in this one. I know Grant's the (bigger man), but I like the way Adamek has progressed from cruiser to heavy. I think he will stop Grant late.”

Lem Satterfield (Editor and Lead Writer of AOL Fanhouse)

“I would have to say that Adamek wins a track meet. I believe that he should be able to get in and out and as long as he doesn't stand and trade (he could) potentially stop Grant late, if not win a decision.”

Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillan (Middleweight Contender)

“I am going with Adamek. He’s been the busier fighter. I got him by KO.”

Alan Hopper (Director of Publicity for Don King Productions)

“I liked Tomasz Adamek best when (Don King Productions promoted) him at 175 pounds, especially when he used his jab more. I was surprised when he carried his punch to cruiserweight, and I was shocked to see him become an elite heavyweight contender. Bottom line: He's a fighter I admire with a lot of heart that you can never count out. Adamek by decision.”

Marc Abrams (Editor of 15rounds.com)

“I like Adamek to win the fight by late stoppage. He’s been more active lately against better competition. Adamek always shows heart and desire, which is one thing that has been questioned about for years. Plus he has fallen off the radar while Adamek has been fighting top competition”

Kevin Iole (Senior Boxing Writer for Yahoo Sports)

“I think its going to be a big win by Adamek. He has really turned into an elite fighter and is as good as anybody in the heavyweight division outside of the Klitschkos. His win over Arreola proved that. I think he is a very good and talented heavyweight in a division where there aren’t many good fighters out there. Grant will have to prove something. Ten years ago he was a fighter with the world of talent but when he stepped up he didn’t perform and I don’t think it will change against Adamek. I think Adamek gives him a boxing lesson and may stop him late, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he won by decision.”

Ryan Songalia (Journalist for Boxingscene.com)

“Adamek should win this fight pretty handily. He is pretty confident and has a string of good wins. The Arreola fight gave him a lot of credibility because his boxing ability and mobility helped him overcome a larger opponent. I would be shocked if Grant was able to win since his last loss (came via) devastating knockout to a small heavyweight like Adamek in Dominick Guinn. Grant’s size alone is not enough to overcome his opponents and this will be a major disadvantage for him. Adamek should stop him any time after the eighth round.”

Ryan Coyne (World Rated Cruiserweight Contender)

“I like Adamek. He is hungry and trying to move his way up the heavyweight ranks. He always steps up when he has a stiff test. Michael Grant is a mountain of a man but I think he is past his prime. The only time he really stepped up was against Lennox Lewis and Jameel McCline and he failed the test. His brief retirements, inactivity and what not will also hurt him come fight night. Adamek is taking this one by late stoppage.”

Aroz “Terrific” Gist (Trainer of local contenders including Mt. Arlington's Pawel Wolak and Hackensack's Bobby Gunn as well as unbeaten prospect Michael Angelo Perez of Newark)

I heard Michael Grant had a great camp. This is a fight you really have to pay attention to because Grant has the chance to pull an upset due to his height and reach. If it gets past round 6 or 7, I’d lean towards Michael Grant. With that said Adamek has been fighting high quality opponents and beating them handily. He’s a very talented fighter who always comes in shape so I am going with Adamek by seventh round stoppage, but if it goes past that, watch out for Grant!”

Brad Cooney (Owner 8CountNews.Com/Published Boxing Author)

Adamek is getting tougher and tougher to rule against. He did very well against Estrada and Golota. I don't think Michael Grant has been busy enough so I think Adamek will box him. Adamek has to be cautious because Grant has size and power. I expect him to use his quickness and ring smarts to box and win a decision."


FINAL TALLY ADAMEK: 13 GRANT: 0


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment