Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Introducing Qa'id Muhammad!



At 5’2 118 lbs, Atlantic City’s Qa’id Muhammad is literally easy to miss. Few fighters, especially Americans, on the East Coast compete in his division, thus fans don’t typically take interest in the lower weight classes. Dubbed as “Kid Dynamite”, Muhammad believes he is the man to change that.

He had a sensational amateur career, winning numerous national tournaments en route to finishing with an 89-9 record. As a pro, Muhammad is a perfect 5-0 with all of his victories coming by way of knockout. Ringsiders have been wowed by his dynamic style, phenomenal hand speed and championship heart. In two of his victories, the twenty one year old overcame opening round knock downs en route to scoring a scintillating stoppage.

GSFS had the opportunity to catch up with Muhammad, who will fight an opponent to be announced Saturday in AC.

Garden State Fight Scene: Qa’id, you will be fighting for the first time in over a year Saturday night. What caused such a long layoff?

Qa’id Muhammad: I had a wrist injury that needed to heal. My father and I were also taking our time to work on things and perfect my game.

GSFS: I know you were a great amateur and are undefeated with all knockouts as a pro, but you’ve also been knocked down a few times already. Do you feel that sometimes perhaps the crowd gets to you?

QM: Yeah! Sometimes I get in the ring and (think that since) I am under the spotlight I have to impress the fans. This can lead to me trying to do too much and has caused me to get knocked down.

GSFS: Are there any fighters that you look up to?

QM: Yes, Meldrick Taylor, Terry Norris and Floyd Mayweather. People also tell me I fight like that bantamweight from Africa (Joseph Agbeko) so I will start watching him as well.

GSFS: Four of your five fights have been in Atlantic City. What does it mean to you to consistently fight in your hometown?

GSFS: I am trying to build a fan base and follow in the footsteps of (late former lightweight champion and Atlantic City native) Levander Johnson and Arturo Gatti since they were big here. I would like to go on the road to fight as well.

GSFS: You fight in a weight class where most of the good fighters aren’t from the Northeast Region and fans don’t seem to follow around here. Do you feel that you this can cause you to be overlooked?

QM: My style will make (the fans follow me) because my fights are exciting! The fact that I am the only bantamweight around here also puts me in a class of my own.

GSFS: Does that also make it hard to find sparring?

QM: I don’t really have many guys my weight I spar with. I spar with a lot of heavier guys. It’s kind of fun to work with bigger guys because I can see that I can handle myself, but at the same time, my father makes sure that everything is in control.

Editor’s Note: Muhammad has sparred with stablemates and fellow unbeaten AC natives Joel De La Paz and Eugene Soto (super middleweights) as well as Lavarn Harvell (light heavyweight)

GSFS: You were 89-9 as an amateur and won plenty of tournaments prior to turning pro. What do you remember most about the amateurs?

QM: Fighting in the Pan-American Games, fighting with the US Team in Morocco and winning the Olympic Trials.

GSFS: Being that there isn’t a ton of money and a huge following in the lower weight classes, do you blame two time US Olympian Rau’shee Warren for trying to make it to the games a third time or do you think its time for him to turn pro?

QM: If I was in his spot I’d turn pro. I am sure that as a two time Olympian the money would be coming in his direction (regardless of what weight class he fights in).

GSFS: What is your outlook for 2010 and beyond?

QM: I want to be a champion in five weight classes from 112 to 126 pounds.

MY: Do you have to say in closing to your fans and the readers of gardenstatefightscene.com?

QM: I hope everybody comes out to support me for every fight. They are coming to see a good fighter and they will have a good time watching me.

Web Site Hit Counters

1 comment: