Thursday, May 6, 2010

Q&A With Elvin “KoKO” Sanchez!



Hard hitting cruiserweight Elvin Sanchez has been out of the ring for almost one year and with just three fights under his belt, many in his position would be eased back into the ring. The Paterson native isn’t so lucky. Tomorrow night at Oheka Castle in Huntington, NY, Sanchez will be opposed by tough Rhode Island native Josh Harris. Here’s what he had to say.

GSFS: You are making your return tomorrow night for the first time in nearly a year against a very tough opponent in Josh Harris. On paper, Harris is 5-3-1 with 4 KO’s, but his last three victories came via knockout against opponents with a combine 23-3-1 record. Why have you decided to go with such a tough opponent?

ES: Basically it was who was willing to take a fight since we had difficulties with opponents. More or less it was who wanted to fight since I needed to get in the ring.

GSFS: You are backed by Lou Duva, who has been one of the most powerful people in boxing over the last 40 years but have still had difficulty staying busy. Why has that been?

ES: I haven’t been injured or anything I honestly don’t know what it was. It can fall from many different levels such as promoters not wanting to put me on opponents not wanting to sign. Every time we had an opponent they backed out or the money wasn’t right.

GSFS: How many times have you tried to fight since your last bout in June?

ES: Five times

GSFS: What do you know about Josh Harris besides his record? Do you have any scouting report or a game plan?

ES: I don’t know too much about him besides that he is a southpaw and apparently can punch.

GSFS: What was your amateur record?

ES: I had 27 fights with four losses. I had 13 to 15 knockouts with the rest coming by decision.

GSFS: This is somewhat in your hometown since you are from Paterson, which is close to NY. Are you going to try and get him out of there and possibly box since he is a dangerous puncher?

ES: I will have to see how it goes. I will box and use lateral movement if I need to but if he commits I will try and make a move. It’s hard to say without having him in the ring.

GSFS: A few fights ago he scored a first round knockout over a fighter I am sure you are familiar with in fellow Paterson native Alexis Mejias. Alexis is a full blown heavyweight. Does that worry you?

ES: Not really. My whole thing is styles make fights so what he (Harris) has done may not effect me. I can also say the guys he beat didn’t face me.

GSFS: Do you have any other fighting experience? There were rumors circulating that you had underground fights whether it be smokers or whatnot.

ES: It was a rumor (pauses) I actually can’t say that it was a rumor since I had two or three fights but it was nothing big.

GSFS: If you are victorious tomorrow, what is your plan from that point forward?

ES: I want more fights! I want at least seven fights per year. Hopefully a good showing and making a good name will open doors.

Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment