Monday, March 15, 2010

Shamone Alvarez “Bring on Whoever!”



Shamone “The Truth” Alvarez is looking to get back into contention following his impressive 7th round TKO victory over hard hitting Alexis Camacho March 6 in his hometown of AC. Alvarez, now 21-2 with 12 KO’s, is hungry as ever to prove that he belongs among the upper echelon welterweights, even though both of his defeats came when he stepped up. We had the opportunity to catch up with the confident Alvarez. Here’s what he had to say.

Garden State Fight Scene: Shamone, congrats on your knockout victory over Alexis Camacho. Tell us about it.

Shamone Alvarez: I am very happy that I won. This was a very difficult fight for me and I won it and won it (impressively). I am happy and pleased.

GSFS: It was impressive, but you do have a bunch of wins over Camacho type opponents such as Jose Luis Cruz. Some would question you ability to beat a top guy since both of your losses were when you stepped up against Joshua Clottey and Delvin Rodriguez. Are you planning to switch things up so you can beat one of these guys?

SA: I am waiting to see what (promoter) Joe (Deguardia) is going to do but I am willing to fight any of these guys. (Mike) Jones, that boy (Antonin) Decarie, and I would love a rematch against Delvin or Joshua Clottey to show I can beat those guys. The Delvin fight was bs but its whatever. I have my daughter and my lady so they are my motivation!

It doesn’t matter who they put in front of me because I will put them down and beat the hell out of them to show that I am worthy. Now I am what Clottey once was; a fighter who isn’t respected or looked upon and look where (Clottey) is now (getting big fights).

GSFS: We know that you are promoted by Joe Deguardia’s Star Boxing. Who manages and trains you?

SA: Arnold Robbins is my trainer and manager. William Johnson, the father of (the late Levander) Johnson is my assistant trainer. I have strength and conditioning coach (as well), plus Donnell Parker is my third man in the corner.

GSFS: You previously mentioned Mike Jones, who just won in AC and like you, has a local fan base. Mike is also eager to get a big fight and has been on the ESPN-Fox Espanol type cards. Is he somebody you are willing to fight to make it to the next level?

SA: Yes! Joe and I have discussed this. I was at his last fight against (Henry) Bruseles and I was looking at him like I am ready to step up and take on this guy.

GSFS: Is Shamone Alvarez calling out Mike Jones?

SA: I am calling out anybody I am calling out Jones, Decarie, Clottey, Delvin, all of these guys! I am not calling them out because I have beef or anything, but I want these guys because I am willing to fight anybody. If Mike Jones is guy they want me to fight that’s fine. Delvin is cool too. I would also love to fight Clottey again since he was the first to beat me. I really want to fight anybody I don’t want to specifically say Mike Jones. It’s also up to Joe and my manager.

GSFS: Most of your fights have been in or around Jersey. Are you willing to travel whether it be to Canada, Las Vegas or wherever?

SA: Yes! I was going to fight (unbeaten) Saul Alvarez but they wanted to do it in Mexico. I will fight him in Vegas or wherever but he is their golden boy. We were scheduled to fight Antonin Decarie before but we had to pull out with a knee injury. I am down for whatever as long as its fair.

GSFS: I believe Saul Alvarez’ next fight will be on the Mayweather-Mosley undercard on May 1 (cutting in).

SA: Yeah I knew (his next fight) was on some big undercard. If we fight in Vegas that is cool with me but if we were to fight in Mexico it would have to be for a lot of money. Once I beat him, I will be in position for a big money fight. So it is about the money, but it also isn’t about the money if you follow.

GSFS: What is your outlook for 2010 and beyond?

SA: I am just looking to fight! Joe and I have spoken (about future bouts). It would be nice to have three more fights this year but realistically, as a ten or twelve round fighter, I should get two more bouts. Like Antonio Tarver said, if you keep on winning, they will have to give you a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment