Thursday, March 18, 2010

Q&A with Jorge Diaz!





From the second the opening bell sounds, New Brunswick’s Jorge “Kid” Diaz is ready to go to war. The all action Diaz has already been in a number of entertaining bouts, making him a pugilist that thrives on giving fans their moneys worth in the entertainment department. Although he was a notable local prospect following a good amateur career, Diaz gained notoriety outside of the Garden State after viciously knocking out 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Yan Barthelemy last October.



On Saturday night, Diaz, 12-0 (8 KO’s), looks to take another step in the right direction when he takes on unbeaten Mexican Alejandro Lopez in Key West, FL on Fox Sports Espanol. We had the opportunity to catch up with Diaz, who is just two days away from his first televised bout.



GSFS: Saturday night you are taking on an unbeaten opponent in Alejandro Lopez. What do you know about him besides that he is 13-0 with 2 knockouts?



JD: That on March 20 he will be 13-1 with 2 knockouts (laughing)!



GSFS: This will be your first time on National TV. Does this add any extra pressure for you?



JD: No not at all. All jokes aside I know Lopez is a boxer but I am going to come in and apply pressure and make it a war. In terms of pressure fighting (on TV), there isn’t any because I know at the end of the day win, lose or draw, I am going back to the projects, so I have everything to gain!



GSFS: You are known as an action fighter who goes for the knockout. Considering this is yet another step up and your first eight rounder, are you planning to box a little more and take your time?



JD: I am prepared to go eight hard rounds to the point where I am so tired after the bout that I feel like passing out! Leather will still be flying though because that is how I fight!



GSFS: There are a lot of good up and comers in the featherweight division such as Mikey Garcia, who has been featured on TV as well. Who is on Jorge Diaz’ radar considering he has been moving up?



JD: That isn’t my job I just go out there and fight. Everything else is up to my promoter Pound 4 Pound, my manager Sal Alessi and trainer Mike Skowronski.



GSFS: I know you were in camp with two time world champion Juan Manuel Lopez last year. What was it like to spar with one of the top fighters out there?



JD: It wasn’t what I expected. I got there the first day, worked out and it didn’t go as I wanted. I wasn’t pleased with what I did. The experience actually makes me not want to go back to a training camp. They ended up changing my opponent anyways.



Editor’s note: When Diaz was in camp with Lopez, both were preparing for fights on October 10 at Madison Square Garden.



GSFS: Moving back to October 09’ when you had the best win of your career against 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Yan Barthelemy. You were put in with a skilled boxer and an enormous amateur pedigree. Coming into the bout, were you worried at all about the fight considering it was a huge step up in competition?



JD: To be honest with you, I didn’t know who he was until I knocked him out. I don’t get into that, I just fight. They tell me the day I am fighting I say ok. They tell me (Barthelemy is the new opponent on short notice) I said ok. I just fight.



GSFS: So I take it you don’t watch tapes of your opponents based on your last statement?



JD: Yeah I leave that up to my coach. I am not the coach you know so I let him (Mike Skowronski) do that. I don’t watch any tapes but maybe in the future I will.



GSFS: Being that you are an action fighter from New Jersey with a warrior mentality and are willing to take two punches to land one, is the late Arturo Gatti a fighter you try to emulate?



JD: It would be a pleasure to be mentioned in the same sentence as him. However Gatti is Gatti, Jorge Diaz is Jorge Diaz. I do whatever it takes to win the fight but it would be nice to help Arturo’s legacy live on, but it isn’t my initial plan.



GSFS: What is your plan from Saturday forward if you are victorious and it were up to you.



JD: Sh*t if it was up to me, I would get paid like $40,000 (laughing). They told me if I win on Saturday, they are putting me in Yankee Stadium (on the Miguel Cotto-Yuri Foreman) undercard on June 5, but first I have to take care of business.



GSFS: Is that something you are potentially looking forward to because that will be a big card with 30,000 plus fans there?



JD: That right there would be to me, the highlight of my life! My only highlight I have in boxing is beating Yan Barthelemy. Now if I do get to fight at Yankee stadium, that would be such a great privilege since it would be the first fight ever at (the new) Yankee Stadium. That would be history!



GSFS: Jorge thanks for the time best of luck Saturday. What do you have to say in closing to all your fans and the readers on Gardenstatefightscene.com?



JD: I hope I don’t disappoint y’all on Saturday. Make sure to tune in watch. I will give you 100%!








No comments:

Post a Comment