Saturday, October 2, 2010

Judah-Matthysse Conference Call Coverage



By John Wall

The new Mecca of boxing, Newark, NJ’s Prudential Center, will host the November 6 meeting between Zab “Super” Judah and Lucas Matthysse. Brooklyn born Zab Judah brings his 39-6 with 27 KOs record to the party while the Argentinean Matthysse puts his unblemished 27-0 on the line, of Mr. Matthysse’s 27 wins, an eye popping 25 have come by knock out.

The card also features Jersey Boys Tyaab Beale, Tyrone Luckey of Middletown and Michael Perez of Newark.

Kathy Duva of Main Events hosted a conference call with both fighters:

Kathy Duva: “Obviously we’ve made no secret of the fact that we’ve been dying to bring HBO to the Prudential Center. We are delighted to be working with HBO and Golden Boy to make this happen. I’d like to thank Lucas Matthysse for taking this fight. Zab Judah has made it clear that it is his intention to take back the 140 pound division. He made a big, big bang coming to the Prudential Center for the first time back in July. This time when we come back, we are bringing HBO with us. It’s going to be an incredible night of boxing.

David Itskowitch, Golden Boy Promotions: “We realize that Lucas Matthysse is an unknown quantity here in the United States but in a way we like that because there are two other guys who were unknown quantities in the United States and have come up here from Argentina and made a pretty big splash. Their names are Sergio Martinez and Marcos Maidana. We strongly believe the Lucas Matthysse is going to be the next great Argentinean fighter. he recently sparred with Shane Mosley, and Shane was raving about him, saying he was one of the best fighters he has seen in a while.

“He’s (Matthysse) one of boxing’s best kept secrets in our opinion and on November 6th the secret will be out. We feel he is going to heed the opportunity and take it to Zab and take the fight. In his last fight he scored a TKO over Rogelio Castaneda in the first round. Before that he fought Vivian Harris and scored a TKO in the fourth round. He has a very impressive record of 27-0 with 25 KOs. That’s a 93 % knockout percentage, and in fact, only one of his opponents has gotten past the fourth round, which is pretty impressive with 27 fights.

Question: Zab you sound like a new man, you are calling this fight a second opportunity. Why are we to believe what we hear and what is this second opportunity about?

Zab Judah: Life is about growing up when you are young you go through certain things, you mature. Zab Judah is going to fight. I’ve been to the highest highs and the lowest lows I think at this point in my life I choose a different path. I’m doing everything that people have asked of me in my career. I feel great my training is beautiful. I heard about the Lucas Matthysse Sugar Shane Mosley sparring session it’s always two sides to a story. I heard a different story. He (Matthysse) has knock out a lot of guys early but the guys he has knocked out were not like Zab Judah. It’s a different comparison.

Question: Regarding the potential that Devon Alexander could get stripped if he fights Tim Bradley for unification, and the winner of this fight could then fight Kaizer Mabuza for the title, does that give any sense of urgency to this fight for either of you?

Zab Judah: “No because that’s what we’re in the game for. I didn’t get beat out of this division I bowed out of this division. I vacated my 140 lb title and left it to go to welterweight to fight for something else. I left this weight class a champion and I’ll come back to get the championship. Everyone knows it’s just a matter of time before I’m looking at one of the titles or all of the titles. Sometimes I do get selfish and I want all of the titles, I’m back to one of my selfish moments.”

Lucas Matthysse: I’m preparing very hard for this fight. It’s news to me what you just mentioned about the possibility of fighting for the IBF title, but I’m still going to train the same way. Like I said this is the most important fight of my career. It’s going to be a good fight and I look forward to winning, whether it’s for a title or not.

Question: This is the most important fight of your career and also the most difficult and accomplished opponent that you have faced, characterize the obstacle you have in front of you.

Lucas Matthysse: Definitely, it’s the most important and the best fighter I’ve had. Everyone knows who Zab Judah is, one of the top fighters in the world, a former world champion but I’m preparing myself very well. I’m prepared to win.
Question: Zab you are back with your original promoter and your original division and you’re training with Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. What prompted these changes and is this part of that new focus you mentioned earlier?

Zab Judah: Definitely, change is good. In life you do things to better yourself in glad to be with Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. I feel great I’m so ready. It is a new
beginning; God gave me a second chance.

Question: Zab you’ve always given us great performance whether winning or losing we always felt an honest performance from you. Are you surprised it took HBO so long to find the right opponent for you and to approve of it so you could be on television again?

Zab Judah: Do they build buildings in one day? Life is about timing. The Father puts people where they need to be when they need to be there.
Question: For Lucas, Zab Judah as had a storied professional career. He has fought 262 rounds of professional boxing against an elite level of opponents and you have boxed professionally 70 rounds. Do you feel you have progressed enough in your career to face an opponent at this level?

Lucas Matthysse: “I know it is a short comparison in rounds I’ve fought professionally, but you know what? That’s my power in the ring. I win my fights by knockout. But I’m not preparing in the gym for a knockout. We look every time for a fight to go 12 rounds and if the end early it’s because of the power I bring.”

Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment