Friday, October 15, 2010

Juan Rodriguez: On the way Up



By John Wall

Union City, New Jersey, a city with a long history of producing pro fighters, has given fans a new up and coming slugger to look out for by the name of Juan “The Beast” Rodriguez. An articulate soft spoken 24 year old southpaw sporting a 3-0 record with two knockouts, Rodriguez surprisingly does not like to be called heavy handed. Tomorrow evening, Rodriguez makes his fourth pro appearance on a card in his hometown headlined by Jonathan Maicelo (13-0) vs Oscar Cuero (13-2).

2009 was a break out year for Rodriguez’s amateur career. He won the New Jersey Golden Glove tournament, made it to the semifinals of the National Golden Gloves, and the quarterfinals of the USA Boxing National Tournament before starting his pro career on December 4th with a one punch KO victory over Bobby Bynum. I was fortunate enough to catch up with Rodriguez. Here’s what he had to say.

John Wall: Juan, you had a very successful amateur career, tell me how your style has has changed now that you are a pro?

Juan Rodriguez: Amateur boxing is all about scoring blows. In my pro career I’m showing another side more of a box and brawl style. People think of me as a puncher, I’m a combination puncher.

JW: So you don’t look to land the big left?

JR: No man, the knockouts just come

JW: Any thoughts on tonight’s opponent Marqus Jackson?

JR: I don’t research my opponents. I don’t care who I fight my manager (Joe Botti) picks my opponents. I fight them.

JW: I know you are focused on tonight’s fight but what is your big dream and who is your dream opponent?

JR: That’s easy I want to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. My goal is not money. My goal is to be a legend and be the best champ there is.


Web Site Hit Counters

10 comments:

  1. This guy is not even top five prospects coming up in Jersey... Why are y'all talking about him GardenStateFightScene SMH! Who Cares!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the above commentator should stick to sports that suite he's personality like: cheerleading,volleyball,tennis or doin there's nails with there friends.....leave the boxing for experts

    ReplyDelete
  3. You call this guy a expert LMAO you damn shore dont know boxing... There are better "Prospects from Jersey" I want to hear about instead of this BUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoever these "Anonymous" people are need to understand that we give publicity to various local fighters. Juan was a terrific amateur and was in a tremendous fight yesterday. He is an entertaining prospect who has pleased local fan thus far. Commenting without your name shows a sheer lack of character, especially when you are making such statements behind a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U gotta b a fuckin hater bro he was ranked second in the countryblast year in the amauters , beat glen tapia like 3 times wich mind u is in Philippines sparing pacquio ....have u ever been in the ring? Do u noe how it like to fight ,don't Eva call people bums that could whoop ur ass ......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you , Juan is a great fighter and hating on him doesn't make you any better

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put my name out there in the gym I go by the name of tsunami....anonymous feeling some type of way come speak to me about it at the gym so I could beat it outta you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey know your facts buddy, he fought Glen Tapia "one" time in the Golden Gloves and Glen beat Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I saw that fight Glen gave him a couple standing 8 counts. He almost knocked him out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA @ THE INTERNET THUG HIDING BEHIND A COMPUTER, THIS IS TOO FUNNY!!! ALWAYS HEARD ABOUT THESE LAMES BUT DAMN 2 C IT IS EVEN FUNNIER!!!! WHERE THEY DO THAT AT?? HOW U DOIN ANONYMOUS?!?!

    ReplyDelete