Monday, October 18, 2010

Former Two Division World Champion Zsolt Erdei to Invade AC November 20!

According to Dan Rafael of Espn.com, two division world champion Zsolt Erdei will make his American debut on November 20th in Atlantic City as part of the undercard featuring the middleweight championship rematch between Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams.

Erdei inked a deal with Lou DiBella over the weekend.

“I have followed him for a while and watched a number of his fights, and he’s a high quality guy,” DiBella said. “He has superstar status in Hungary. He’s like a rock star there. He doesn’t need the money. He didn’t come back for the money. Coming to America is about legacy and about trying to prove he’s belongs with the top guys, that he can beat the top guy. That is why he’s coming back.”

“What’s coming up next for me is in America,” Erdei said. “To be successful there is the next step after having achieved mostly everything in Europe. The big names in my weight division, I want to challenge and defeat them. That’s my goal. I know it’s going to be a tough and a big challenge, but I have never run away from these kinds of tasks. I didn’t want to end my career without giving it a try in the USA.

“We had a few options, especially from U.S. promoters. After a lot of discussions and negotiations, we met with Lou DiBella and DiBella Entertainment in New York. These meetings were always very positive. He made the best offer, and what was very important to me was that he believes in me. From the beginning I have seen Lou DiBella as a really nice person and I have the confidence in him, and I know that he will open the doors to the American boxing market in order to secure a successful continuation of my career.”

“I love boxing and that’s why I want to continue,” Erdei said. “Boxing is my life and I’m a fighter. I was looking for a new challenge after I had been the WBO light heavyweight world champion for nearly six years, had won the WBC cruiserweight crown and my contract with Universum Box-Promotion had ended.”

“He hasn’t taken a lot of punishment,” DiBella said. “His weight doesn’t fluctuate much. So at 36, it’s not a big deal to keep fighting. He doesn’t have a lot of mileage on him. He has taken care of himself and believes he has a lot left. But he’s not looking for a five-year comeback. He’s looking for four or five fights. He thinks he can beat the top guys at light heavyweight — Jean Pascal, Chad Dawson, that level of guy.”

Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment