Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Henry Crawford’s Golden Opportunity!


With his record continuing to grow but a big fight still evading him, Henry Crawford became quite frustrated. No longer interested in fighting off TV, Crawford was prepared to wait for his opportunity. Recent whispers linked Crawford to a fight with hard hitting Philadelphian Mike Jones but the fight never came together.

Much to his surprise, Crawford was offered a fight with highly touted Antwone “The Truth” Smith slated to take place on ShoBox: The Next Generation. Crawford quickly accepted the bout and was more interested in the opportunity than the payday, which is virtually unheard of these days. Garden State Fight Scene had the opportunity to catch up with Crawford, who is two days away from what is by far the most significant fight of his career.

Garden State Fight Scene: Henry, congrats on landing the fight. Smith’s original opponent was Carlos Molina, an extremely tough gate keeper that pulled off a handful of upsets. Then out of nowhere, we hear Henry Crawford signs to fight Smith. How did everything come together?

Henry Crawford: I took the fight with two weeks notice originally. I had the idea that he had another opponent but it didn’t matter to me because they said (it would air on) Showtime and I said (I’ll take it)! I wasn’t worried about the money and was ready to fight because I stay in the gym.

Editors Note: The fight was initially scheduled for September 18 but was moved back to this Friday, October 2.

GSFS: Did you go to camp for the fight or did you train in Paterson as usual?

HC: I trained here in Paterson. I am comfortable here with my family and live a disciplined life so I don’t need (a training camp). Camps are for guys that are unstable and don’t have the discipline. I worked here with Jeremy Bryan, Ossie Duran, Pawel Wolak, and Kendall Holt.

They all give me different styles too. Wolak gives me pressure, Duran can box and Kendall has speed so they all gave me good work.

GSFS: Against Smith, you will enter the ring with a record of 22-0-1. I know you were frustrated because it took so long to land a significant TV fight. Why do you think it took so long?

HC: (pauses) Everybody is out there trying to get that quality fight you know? Some (insignificant) past offers and people not wanting to fight me factored into it. This fight happened to land at the perfect time.

GSFS: The fight was originally scheduled for September 18 but was moved back to Friday. Were you happy that you had more time to prepare for Smith or dejected that you had to wait longer?

HC: I was ready for the 18th but it doesn’t matter. I am constantly in the gym preparing myself so the wait made no difference.

GSFS: Antwone Smith is going to be a significant step up for you. Smith scored four impressive wins on ESPN, coming into each fight as the opponent. Smith most recently defeated well regarded Richard Gutierrez. Have you seen any of his fights and how are you preparing for this step up?

HC: I have seen a few of his fights and he had some nice wins on ESPN. I see it like this; he is just another opponent for me. He is just another guy that I am fighting so I don’t look at him any differently.

If you look at it, when I fought Jerome Ellis I was called on 3 days notice, I didn’t know anything bout him except that he was tough and I got the win. Same thing happened when I fought Gilbert Venegas. I only knew that he was 8-1. I took that fight short notice and had no tapes. I thought I won but it was (ruled) a draw.

GSFS: I was at your last fight against Kaseem Wilson and quite honestly, it was a frustrating to watch. Even though you were the clear victor, some people were disappointed with the fight. What happened?

HC: Actually, I was pretty happy about my performance. He was a Cory Spinks type (fighter because he was) jabbing and running. He had the slick southpaw thing down pat. I hadn’t faced a southpaw in awhile but if they judge me on my last performance they are making a mistake. Styles make fights.

Smith comes to fight and is a good technical fighter. He doesn’t get wild (so he) makes all his punches count and it is (probably) going to be like a chess match but who knows. It may be a war or may be a chess match Friday but if he does come at me, I‘m no punk! I’ll exchange (punches) if I have to.

GSFS: Mike Jones was the name most mentioned as your next opponent. Why didn’t that fight come together?

HC: I called up (promoter) Main Events because that was the fight they discussed so I asked what was going on. (Shortly thereafter) I heard he had a nick injury so I was like “ok I got to move on.”

GSFS: Smith is coming into the fight as the favorite. Will that provide extra motivation?

HC: Hey, who did he fight? Richard Gutierrez and one unbeaten Mexican? I look at them as nobodies.

Look at beginning of my career. I fought unbeaten guys and guys with 1 loss. I think I fought the tougher guys and (to me Smith) is just another opponent. He is a man like I am a man and when it comes down to it I’m going to take care of business. I hope he comes in confident!

GSFS: If you defeat Smith, where are you looking to go from there?

HC: I am looking to take anybody! There is no tomorrow for me I am 28 and have a family to feed. I want any big fight god willing everything goes ok. Shit, I want a world title fight or at least continental (title fight) to get me (rated) in the top 10.

GSFS: Thanks for your time and best of luck on September Friday. Is there anything you’d like to add in closing?

HC: I want everybody to tune in since it’s going to be on Showtime. It’s going to be a good fight!





border="0" alt="Web Site Hit Counters">

No comments:

Post a Comment