Monday, April 26, 2010

Team Bryan Protests Arroyo Loss!



GSFS was notified that Team Bryan filed a formal protest on Jeremy’s behalf surrounding the outcome of his April 17 fight with Vincent Arroyo. The Paterson based Bryan was clearly ahead going into the final round when Arroyo put him down with a solid punch. Arroyo landed a few more flush head shots that knocked Bryan out cold, giving the Amherst resident a stunning upset. That is where the controversy began.

Many ringsiders claim that the knockout blow came when Bryan was down on the canvas, while others state that the finishing shot was landed AS he was going down, therefore it was the fighter’s duty to defend himself. Referee Samuel Viruet and the New Jersey State Athletic Commission saw nothing unusual about the ending, thus treated it no differently than any other bout that ended in a knockout.

Managers Sal Alessi and Pat Lynch each notified us immediately after the bout in AC that they were going to file a protest and have now officially done so.

“He got buzzed with a hook and took a knee”, Alessi said shortly after filing the protest. “When he was down (Arroyo) hit him twice. I still have to look at the tape so I can verify what happened but (Jeremy getting hit when he was down) is what I saw as did most ringsiders.”

Even though Alessi is yet to review the official outcome, he is confident that the right ruling will be made once the New Jersey commission discusses the fight in their next meeting.

“I am sure that the tape will tell the story and they will rule accordingly.”

Bryan, who is 13-1 with 6 KO’s following his lone defeat, displayed a true fighting spirit by expressing more interest in a rematch than the official result.

“I am telling you, I want this rematch real bad!” “Right now (I am accepting it as) a loss, but he hit me twice when I was on my knee, (so) it’s up to the commission to (overrule) that.”

Alessi wasn’t willing to commit to his fighter’s next move, but did say that a return bout with Arroyo wasn’t completely out of the picture.

Web Site Hit Counters

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,

    I don't remember it being a punch when he was down, do you?

    --Alec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,
    I think his knee was bent and close, but not on the ground. What do you think?
    --Alec

    ReplyDelete