Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vinny “The Lion” O’Brien set to debut March 5



By Kyle Kinder (in association with 15rounds.com)

“I put a pair of gloves on, sparred a kid, knocked him down, and just been rolling ever since.”

Since that short time less than four years ago, Vinny O’Brien has stormed through New Jersey boxing’s amateur scene, his hard work ultimately paying off last year when he won the 2010 New Jersey Golden Gloves championship at 141 pounds.

Now the twenty-four year old from East Hanover, New Jersey is set to vacate his amateur status and earn his first boxing paycheck. He’s slated to debut against David Navarro (0-1) on March 5th at the AmeriHealth Pavillion at Prudential Center in Newark as part of the undercard for the Zab Judah-Kaizer Mabuza IBF junior welterweight title scrap.

“I’m anxious to get out there and show everyone what I can really do,” O’Brien said. “When I started [boxing], that’s what I really wanted to do…show the world what Vinny O’Brien can bring in the ring.”

While O’Brien is confident and ready for his professional launch, he is well aware of the differences between amateur and professional boxing.

“We had to change our game plan a little bit because the amateurs are a bit faster paced, a little bit more chasing, in a sense,” said O’Brien. “We’re slowing things down and getting good sparring. Everyone I go against [in sparring] are levels above me in experience right now and are great fighters. So right now they’re just building me up and getting me ready to where I have to be.”

O’Brien, who trains at Final Round Boxing and Fitness in Whippany, New Jersey, practices his trade under the watchful eye of former heavyweight Lou Esa, who will undoubtedly have his fighter ready to go for his first prizefight.

Esa, a New Jersey native who ultimately wound up in Miami fighting under the tutelage of Chris and Angelo Dundee, is exceedingly optimistic about his fighter’s future.

“I’m not patting myself on the back because I’m his trainer, but if you watch this kid and you see his work ethic in the gym…he’s off the hook,” said Esa. “He’s going to grab a belt soon,” he continued with a smile. “I don’t know about how soon, but it’s going to be soon.”

Nicknamed “The Lion”, O’Brien suggests he acts more like a chameleon in the ring — able to adapt to anything and everything thrown his way.

“I’m a stalker. I’m going to push the fight, be the aggressor,” said O’Brien. “I’m slick when I move, I’m all around. I can move, I can brawl…I’ll do whatever I need to do, but I will put out that ‘W’.”

When speaking with the 5’9” O’Brien, it was easy to see why people are excited about him. Setting aside his outstanding skills inside the ropes, outside the ring O’Brien is a well-dressed, well-spoken, clean-cut, twenty-four year old.

While talking at the Judah-Mabuza undercard press conference last week, O’Brien made it a point to speak his mind about the state of the game. Aside from capturing a world title, he stated that he wants “to bring class back [into boxing], and bring it back to the days where my mom would get excited about fights.”

While it remains to be seen whether his mother will get excited about fights again is yet to be determined, his appearance and presentation alone suggest that the sport just indeed got a little bit classier. On the day 15Rounds.com caught up with O’Brien he sported a crisp blue button down with a matching blue and white striped tie to accompany his slicked-back hair and neatly trimmed goatee.

At one point Esa even joked a bit about his boxer’s sharp appearance. “As you can see, he’s a good looking kid…for now,” the 6’6” Esa said jokingly, drawing a laugh from his fighter. “We’ll see what happens down the road.”

Well, in just over three weeks, they’ll embark on their journey down the road. O’Brien will be tasked with getting his first professional victory in front of countless fans from his neighborhood that are set to make the short drive over to Newark.

“There are some nerves,” O’Brien admitted. “But this is my moment. I can either let the moment take control of me, or I can take control of the moment.”

Given O’Brien’s track record, I think it’s safe the assume “The Lion” is going to grab the bull by its horns.

Kyle Kinder can be reached at Twitter.com/KyleKinder or KyleKinder1@gmail.com

WANT TO ORDER A GSFS SHIRT? Email Yanoboxing@aol.com and get yours today!Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment